Monday, June 28, 2010

Yellow Light


A yellow light is a guideline it says--it might be good to slow down. But the light itself does not stop you. It is just a suggestion.

I have found that there are very similar parallels to this axiom in our house.

  • Most builders do not use 2x4s as rafters.
  • Most do not use 2x4s as joists to hold up the entire second floor of a house.
  • It is uncommon to fill large holes in the roof with socks. Even if the socks are navy blue and blend in quite well.
  • Usually the piers holding up the house are made of stone or concrete--not blocks of wood.
  • Many builders frame doors with 2x4s or 2x6s not 1x4s.
The latest exciting omission to following suggested guidelines was the realization that our front door was framed with 1x4s. This led to the whole house shaking every time the door closed. So in the never ending list of fix up projects I fixed the door this weekend.



Before. There are 2x4s on the right but the 1x4s can barely be seen on the left.
Lookin' good. See how these beams don't even touch the sill? Could that lead to the door shaking the wall?
I just like the mess that is pictured here. What was happening in their minds?
I overdid it a bit but I didn't want to go back in later.

The door is finished. Now I need to work on the look of the front.

3 comments:

Jill Dater said...

I'm going to make the assumption that Tom is writing this blog post, although it would TOTALLY crack me up to see Heidi fixing a door with her big pregnant belly. Good job Tom! If you run out of home repair projects over there, we have some here you could do.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tom, Good for you. That is totally scary that it was like that. By the time you leave this house it will have been a total makeover thanks to you.

Grammmie said...

Uh, that was Grammie. Didn't hit the right buttion I guess.