
Well, everyone survived Mommy's first week back at work!
Tuesday morning, I drove Amelia with me to school so that Grammie could pick her up in the parking lot and take her home with her. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, she started screaming; when she saw Grammie, she started screaming. We made it a relatively quick transfer and then I was alone as they pulled away. I was weepy so I decided to walk by myself to our district "opening meeting" and by the time I got there (after calling Grammie once, to which she said, "For God's sake, Heidi, she's fine; it's been five minutes" - I calmed down after that :) ) I was fine and ready to socialize. At the end of the school day, I picked her up and went swimming at the pool where she practiced jumping from the edge into the water. I caught her every time! (phew).
Aunt Becky came home on Wednesday and from then on it was the Amelia-Aunt Becky show. By the last day of the week, Amelia didn't want to leave when we would pick her up after school. She did a somersault with Aunt Becky (who used to be a college level gymnast and is very excited about this ...), she took good naps, and, while she was definitely fussier and more clingy with me, she did well and better than I'd hoped . Let's hope the next 2 weeks go as well - then she will be off to school and a routine...
As for me, I LOVED being back at school. I feel like I am such a better teacher now that I have a child of my own. I am more patient and understanding (this could all change as the kids get more annoying - haha) and whenever my roomful of 14 year olds started to get on my nerves, I imagined them as little infants in their carseats coming home from the hospital with their giddy parents, and I smile and re-gain my composure and patience :) But check back with me in a few months to see if I feel the same.
That said, I do not have any idea what we're doing in class this week ... so I should probably stop blogging and start lesson planning...
No comments:
Post a Comment