Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dads just might always be right

On December 28th I was making a standing rib roast for a few friends and when it was done I went to turn off the grill. I turned off not only the knobs on the top but the triangular valve that was right on the tank. My friend Justin, watching, asked, "Why do you do that?" He went on to say that he wasn't questioning me but just wondering why I turned off the gas at both places. I responded, "Because my Dad always did." Justin and I talked for a little bit and we figured that there was no reason to turn of the gas in both places. Either the knobs on the top of the grill work or they don't.

So I spent the next 8 months not turning off the gas at the tank. The house did not blow up, there was always plenty of gas and I couldn't imagine how much time I was saving by not bending over to turn off the gas at the tank.

Until.....

When my parents visited this week I was a little overstimulated and a little frazzeled so apparently one night after grilling I left one of the top knobs on low. When I returned to grill the next day I said, "S---" because I knew that I would have to drive to get a new tank. When I went down to disconnect the thank, though I noticed that it was still really heavy. Wondering how this could be I checked the knob on the tank and...it was closed.

At that moment my Dad walked out and told me that, the previous day, he had noticed the smell of gas after we stopped cooking so decided to turn the gas off at the tank.

Dad might not always be right but he sure is most of the time :)

No comments: