Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Plight of the English Teacher


About two weeks ago, I took Amelia to Sears to get her picture taken. It was a smashing success -- the photographer fell in love with her and the pictures were great! Sears has a lot of money making schemes in addition to just selling you the pictures, though. You can buy all sorts of expensive combinations with frames and mats, etc... I really just wanted pictures so I ordered them, but my hormones did prevent me from saying no to just one of their money making schemes. For $10 I could get an 8x10 picture of my hand holding her hand with a cheesy poem about mothers holding their child's hand. I knew this was borderline lame, but I thought I could frame it and put it in her room and it would be kind of nice.


So, yesterday Amelia and I took a big trip to pick up the pictures. The photographer remembered Amelia and called out her name and she turned around to look - the first time I've seen her respond to her name that dramatically. We get home and I whip out the pictures and look for my lame one first. My heart sinks as I feel my English teacher gene come bubbling to the surface. If you turn your head to the side while looking at the picture, you will see the cheesy poem:
A mother holds
their child's hand
for awhile, but
holds their heart for always!
What is the problem, you ask? It should say that a mother holds her child's hand for awhile - not their. So, I realize now that everytime I look at this picture I am going to itch with irritation. I really thought I could just put it on the wall and ignore it - but I really don't think I can do that. Every single time I look at it I'm going to feel like I just heard fingernails on a chalkboard. So I go to bed.
And I wake up this morning to see that Toonces, our cat, has decided to eat the picture - and she ripped off the THEIR. It is clear to me that she, too, could not take this error in grammar, and this picture is not meant to hang on our wall.

2 comments:

JKG said...

Have you heard about these guys?

I hate that crap. More, I hate the fact that many people were involved in getting that piece of dreck into production: someone had to come up with the idea, someone did the layout, someone approved the product for promotional sale, etc. and etc. There was a long line of illiterates involved in this mess, each one of them getting paid for their work.

I will now drill a hole in my head with a corkscrew.

Anonymous said...

HHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA.

I just have to say that that cat is now my most favoritest and I will take 324 claritin the next time i visit and smother toonces with kisses.